Sunday, March 14, 2010

Keeping busy!

Sometimes, it's just easier to update fans and followers via my Facebook page or Twitter page with a quick sentence or a picture, than to write an entire blog. To be honest, I tend not to have much to say, and I haven't been keeping up on my blog as much as I would like to.But mostly lately, it's because I have been so busy!

I've been getting ready for upcoming events, at which I am going to be selling. That means trying to build up a lot of inventory and items to sell, working on brand new items that I've never made before, getting all of my displays ready, ordering supplies...It may not sound like much, but it is keeping me fairly busy. But, I am very excited for everything that is coming up. Starting this May, I'm going to be selling at a local Farmer's Market. In August, I'm going to be selling at the August West Festival in Jay Peak, VT. Also, I visited my former high school this past week and spent a day there talking with each art class proposing a sign designing contest to them. I need a sign for my vending table to get the attention of potential buyers and let them know what I am selling. I put up an offer to the students, to design a sign for me to display at my table at all of these upcoming events, and whoever creates the sign I choose as my favorite I will make them a pendant/necklace from my shop for free (or a ring, or hairclips if they would prefer). My former art teacher got a kick out of the idea, loved that I wanted to involve and likes that I am still involved in art. Several other former teachers of mine were very impressed with my work, and the fact that I was attempting to run a small business on my own and pave such a path for myself. I brought some of my latest items with me to show the students, and I even made a few sales (to students and teachers). I will probably be posting pictures of the winning sign when the contest ends, so keep an eye out for that upcoming post.

The reason I decided to blog today was because I have been working on getting some of my jewelry displays finished today, with the help of my boyfriend. We picked up some wood and a jar of bright green paint. The two displays that we're working on today are - a necklace display (using some wood that he fashioned into a frame, and some screen), and double-tiered bracelet holder. I wanted two rows of bracelets because I think I'm going to be putting beaded bracelets on one row, and the resin bracelets that I will soon be making on the other.

They're not finished just yet, but I will try to post pictures when they are. In the meantime, here are some pictures of a few of the things I've been working on:


The beginnings of the bracelet and necklace displays.



A few of the brand new necklace designs. None of these are posted in my Etsy shop right now, but they are available upon request, if you see something you like!


One of my ring displays. ALL new rings, none of these are listed in my Etsy shop. I still need to make another display for my bigger rings that are going to be around maybe $8 (which is still VERY reasonable for a handmade resin ring, they're typically at least $10.)


The same ring display as previously pictured. Guess what this pretty, green box originally was? .....A box of chocolates! Gotta love re-purposing and recycling! I stuck some of my new hairclips (again, available upon request but not currently available in my shop) and some sets of earrings to the back of the box, as you can see. Which, conveniently frees up a lot of table space. ...I love being so crafty!


Now, all I need to do (in terms of display gathering, anyway) is get another ring display for my bigger rings that will cost a few dollars more, and I need to put some finishing touches on a ring display that I have for my children's rings! I know, I know, LOTS of ring displays. But I can't wait till I put all these displays to use really soon!

0 comments: